Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The promised connected dots rant.

Our world is being swallowed up by the by-products of our consumerism.  Last week, I spent a lot of time off the farm, and away from our little town.  I saw I-65, I-264, I-40, and I-24, as well as several Non Interstate highways, completely jam-packed with trucks or commuters (not at the same time, of course).  I saw television shows totally based on wanting more and buying more and having to know the retail prices of things in order to win.  I saw television commercials that promised me the most outrageous results if only I would buy...fill in the blank.  I saw parking lots so crammed that it was guaranteed to raise my husband's blood pressure as he tried to get to his VA hospital appointments before they decided he was too late, they would not see him.

We had to pass right by a large UPS airport on the south side of Louisville.  We passed it 6 times last week and there was always something landing or taking off.  One time, (I wish I could have taken a picture of this for you) a  UPS cargo plane was coming in for a beautiful landing, smooth and lovely, while a Fed-Ex semi was 2 lanes away from us right underneath the plane, and heading in the opposite direction was a UPS semi. Next time you are on the road, really open your eyes to all the cargo being moved from place to place just within your sight, and imagine what is happening where you can't see.

And the commuters! and the piss poor driving of the commuters!  All those people living far from work that pays enough for all that driving, and to pay for all that cargo that is coming at their suburban or rural homes, either via delivery truck or store, doesn't matter, it is still cargo that had to be shipped and paid for.

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go!

And we haven't even touched Christmas yet...

Convenient Truth Contest: Wasting Xmas

Please watch the above link, it is not long.

Remember, that all of this, ALL OF IT, is being made possible only by dependance upon petroleum.  The driving, the hauling, the manufacturing, even the plastic television that seduces you into putting up with this life.

And we are running out of the petroleum.

This year, do yourself, your budget, your family, your country, your species(!!!) a favour.  Shop second hand.  Learn to love your local second hand or charity shop.  Learn to make something for yourself, or be willing to pay your neighbor for some of her artistry.

We can do this, we can have a Merry Christmas without a Black Friday.  In other words, please visit with your loved ones on Thursday instead of wasting it camping in front of store doors.

What will you choose?

4 comments:

  1. We don't have a black Friday over here in the UK - but we possibly have the equivalent of boxing day when all the sales start. I second the stay at home with your loved ones, play pictionary on a flip chart, or just curl up on the sofa with each other looking at old photos! I'll be honouring Buy Nothing Day this year - but that's not so hard really when you choose to consume less the majority of days should be buy nothing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the point given. For those who do not know, Black Friday is the day after the US Holiday Thanksgiving. Every year people are killed or injured in the rush to get into the opened stores. Every year, people miss part or all of Thanksgiving in order to literally camp outside of the store in order to be one of the first people to get inside. Road Rage, Fist Fights, Parking Lot Intimidation "Accidents". All so we can celebrate the spirit of peace and love?

    I have never heard of a Buy Nothing Day, but it is a great idea! Are there many people who, because of overconsumption or budget restraints, follow a Buy Nothing Day compass?

    We have a Buy Nothing New pact between us, and we are doing well, but not perfect. We need to keep on keeping on...

    So glad you stopped by. Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.buynothingday.co.uk

    Not sure whether it is held in US - I thought it was - and that it was on Black Friday? But I may be wrong... I discovered it via non-consumer advocate (I think) last year - Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, sign me up for Buy Nothing Day on Black Friday. That is great. No one will miss us however, as I don't like to drive anywhere on that day! It had been a Go Nowhere day for years now! LOL.

    ReplyDelete